Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beneteau First 235 1987 For Sale - SOLD (JDF)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longreach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacksheep is right, there are many factors that come to play in establishing a market value.

For example, without a viable trailer, the pool of potential buyers drops dramatically for an F235 on an inland lake.
mquigley
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another thing that would really help our cause is if Beneteau got off their lazy greedy butt and started producing more of them. The design is still current, wing keel not withstanding. There is nothing in it's class that I know of. Beneteau's decision to only make 31 feet and higher boats just leaves a hole in this side of the market.

Beneteau already builds a lovely line of Finot designs from 21.7 feet up to 27.7 feet. They just don't offer them in the United States, because the average American has become unable to appreciate smaller keelboats. Kelly is right, for Beneteau to make money on these boats, they're fairly spendy. Apparently Europeans are willing to spend significant money on smaller boats, but Americans are not.

I'm a big fan of the 27.7. That's a sweet boat. It definitely shows how much Group Finot designs have evolved the same basic idea in 15 years. Ever seen the First 300 Spirit? ...there's a sexy boat. Only available in Europe.

I've always thought it would be cool to see an updated 235... a 23.7. I'm sure it'd be a completely cool boat that offered razor sharp performance, a strong build and the most amazing interior available in the size range. I'm sure it'd be head and shoulders above other boats in the size range. It'd probably cost $40k bare and $60k with a good sail inventory and all the performance or cruising tweaks.
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mquigley wrote:

I've always thought it would be cool to see an updated 235... a 23.7. I'm sure it'd be a completely cool boat that offered razor sharp performance, a strong build and the most amazing interior available in the size range. I'm sure it'd be head and shoulders above other boats in the size range. It'd probably cost $40k bare and $60k with a good sail inventory and all the performance or cruising tweaks.

alas, hate to say it cause i don't want windependent po'd, but if i had that kind of money, i'd opt for a used 30-35 footer i think.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Quigster said, European's prize space and are used to living with a lot less of it - They do seem to be willing to buy in this size range while the US of A "SUV LAND" doesnt want to pay for this size range which is admittedly more for first time owners. And when trailering, something like a used 5k swing keel Catalina seems a no brainer. On the other hand, I cant blame most for wanting something a bit bigger if wanting to cruise a bit. The 20s range is doing well for racers but for the "do it all" type solution, it's hard to pay the price for that 23ft range. Still, the costs of ownership jump big time (in marinas too) when you get over 30ft. Also, with a used market flooded with the 24ft range, the first time buyer sees far more of a bargain and dollar worth going for want ads.

All this being said, and BACK to the subject, what happened to Mr. Daryl S? This boat is far closer to his home state and seems an excellent deal and from a forum member no less. If you are getting an F235, I dont know what is stopping you. I personally see many a Catalina 22 and 25 in this price range and there is simply NO COMPARISON here when it comes to build and peformance/comfort. I cant speak for your area but we have a bevy of small boat owners here willing to help out a potential buyer with trailer. If you WANT the boat, you can have it. I bought mine with just a loose solution as to how I was going to retrieve it. I could have enacted a rule's list that defeated it from the get go but bypassed the road blocks and have a boat I really love for a price that couldnt be beat. It's worth jumping through the hoops, IMO.

kh
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
mquigley
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
alas, hate to say it cause i don't want windependent po'd, but if i had that kind of money, i'd opt for a used 30-35 footer i think.

Sure... there are all kinds of economic issues at play. That's why Beneteau doesn't sell new, small boats in the US. :-)
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
Still, the costs of ownership jump big time (in marinas too) when you get over 30ft. kh

and to drag the thread back OT, this marina attitude really irritates me. the cost of ownership does go WAY up, because so many services are pegged to LOA.

it maddens me to see cost/ft when hauling, for instance. i watch my boat being hauled in and out (23 ft) and the other guys boat hauled in and out (30 ft). same crane, same operator, same marina, same ramp, same day.

pay an extra $100 for the bigger boat, just because.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
BLACKSHEEP
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly is right on! These people here are GREAT! I can not say enough about it. I bought my boat and had no way of transport and these people were trying to figure the problem out for me before I had the boat paid for. I would like to thank Neil for helping me, he was great.
I have alot more money and time invested in this than just the $5400 but the people who helped me along the way deserve a shot at this boat for what I got it for. The journey along the way was priceless!
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: MISTER daryl s lives Reply with quote

Gee Whiz, Kels, did I get knighted or sumthin?

Quote:

All this being said, and BACK to the subject, what happened to Mr. Daryl S? This boat is far closer to his home state and seems an excellent deal and from a forum member no less. If you are getting an F235, I dont know what is stopping you. I personally see many a Catalina 22 and 25 in this price range and there is simply NO COMPARISON

i'm alive and well, with cash in my grubby paws, in search of a really really good deal on a boat/trailer package that fits my concept of mission. Some interesting things are afoot, but I'd prefer not to shoot myself in the foot until ink gets laid on paper. Keep watching this space.

Anybody remember Johnny Carson's Spoof on the old Preparation H ads? He'd start off holding his hands about a foot apart saying "If this is the problem . . . ." then moving his hands to about 4 inches with the punchline "THIS is NOT the solution!"

And you are absolutely right, Mr, Kelly, <g> a catalina 22 or 25 is NOT the solution.
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MISTER daryl s lives Reply with quote

Daryl S wrote:
Gee Whiz..... Anybody remember Johnny Carson's Spoof on the old Preparation H ads? He'd start off holding his hands about a foot apart saying "If this is the problem . . . ." then moving his hands to about 4 inches with the punchline "THIS is NOT the solution!"

Indeed, I do.

I also remember the late but great Carnac the Magnificent....

A. S Peterbilt

Q. What will ole Daryl be sailin' in come August?

Heh.... Ok, seriously, good luck with your potential purchase. Hope it goes through. I personally think you're being a bit overly cautious on the trailer front but understand where you're coming from. I think there are ways to get an adequate trailer below your price quote, though things become far more difficult depending on the "must have' checklist.

kh
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
Steve Clausen wrote:
BMW doesn't make the 2002 anymore either, and they are worth their weight in gold, so it should be with the F235.

For the mother of all transgressions, dont tell me you are a 2002 owner? Steve, this was one of my all time favorite cars and owned a pristine 72 2002 with European engine with Weber for about 10 years before it was stolen. I miss the 02...one of the most fun cars to drive. Replaced it with a 72 BMW Bavaria which is their 6 that put them on the performance sedan map.

See the two beasts below. I just sold the Bavaria a little over a month ago. It's my first time without a vintage car since 77 and the first without a classic BMW since 87. The Toyota Camry seems generic by comparison... I miss those cars. The second site I ever did is dedicated to the BMW Bavaria... over 160,000 visits since mid 90s.

kh

This is funny and creepy. I now know what demographic I'm in because I have a BMW as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: