Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90 Wing w/Trailer in NC - SOLD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccalack
First Mate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: 90 Wing w/Trailer in NC - SOLD Reply with quote

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/4/74282454.htm
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listed in a previous sale post now on page one. This listing has gone down a bit in price since then:

http://beneteau235.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89

kh
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Tom reported the original posting.
Hey, Tom ... did you ever try to swing by and get the hull ID number for our database?????
It looks like a very nice trailer, and now it's looking like a much better deal - someone needs to go and get this one ... before the price drops any lower <g>
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
JDF
Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: and one on ebay this morning Reply with quote

I noted a new listing on ebay this morning and brought it to San Francisco Dan's attention. The boat is in Mission Viejo; too far for me to drag back to Lake Michigan.
I wonder if North Carolina would be more doable. At least there would not be the Rockies looming ahead.
However, the trailering stories have me casting a cautious eye toward those lug nuts!
87 fin #64
Lake Michigan @ Chicago
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: lug nuts Reply with quote

JDF, I wouldn't overly freak over that. Even if you want to be 100% paranoid, the paranoia is easily curable, probably for about $100 . . . not terribly expensive insurance.

The $100 solution is simply to pull into a local trailer or RV shop and have them pull/inspect/replace if needed/repack the bearings. If you've the skills and no qualms about dirty hands do it yourself for 50. This will pull all the lug nuts and retorque them as a part of the process. The truly persecuted can take either a sharpie or just some pinstripe tape and mark all the lugnuts with a line pointing directly at the hub. Now you can visually inspect each time you stop.

In my view, a larger hazard (and one that got me <g>) is the long distance syndrome. After the time and money spent just getting to the boats location, you're more or less predisposed to being committed. In my humble way of seeing things, a 235 is not a complicated boat that requires a full naval survey . . . however, if I ever buy another one at a distance I'll use a surveyor to dispasionately advise me on whether or not to make the trip.
JDF
Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: trailer encouragement Reply with quote

Daryl S;
thanks for the trailer strategy. I appreciate your wisdom about getting there and finding a boat less to one's liking.
I hope your advice didn't come at an expensive cover.

JDF
87 fin #64
Lake Michigan @ Chicago
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Price of advice Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope your advice didn't come at an expensive cover

Hindsight is always 20/20. And yes, the long distance syndrome did cost me, although not so much I can't cope. I still have solid value, there's just been some delayed gratification.

A forum member graciously loaned me a trailer that had a recent 500 mile trip behind it. The only thing needed was a squirt of grease and some fiddling with the lights. A trailer sitting under a boat for sale will, 90 percent of the time, not be in this condition. In appreciation of the loan, I assembled a tool box with some supplies and equipment for trailering.

I've been pondering since, and will be assembling one for myself. The intent is covering most emergencies in one case I can toss in the back of the pickup whenever I tow somewhere. Kit will include: grease gun and grease cartridges, spare bearings, spare bearing "buddies" ratchet straps w/spare, lug wrench, bottle jack, duplicate of any pins or hardware that are removable i.e. the pin on the tongue extention, wire, 12 volt soldering iron, solder, multimeter, trailer light connector, taillight bulbs, wrench to adjust pads, pliers, screwdrivers, wire crimper, crimp terminals and vice grips. This assemblage will weight about 40 pounds, and it's amazing what you can do with it when motivated. Even if you are not personally mechanically inclined, a good samaritan offering help probably won't have all the tools and supplies on hand.

As Kelly surmised before being told, problems with bearing/tires on the trip home are legion. Bearings are cheap! Replace them! Whether they need it or not. In the process of doing so, a whole lot of inspecting and troubleshooting comes along for free.

BTW, you'll want a good first aid kit on the boat anyway . . . might as well take it along when you pick your baby up.

Good luck in your search . . . and may your find be painless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: