Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F285 Eclipse advertised with Annapolis Yacht Sales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 285 For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_swart
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: F285 Eclipse advertised with Annapolis Yacht Sales Reply with quote

A friend of mine is thinking about driving up to Annapolis for a look at Eclipse, a '90 WK being brokered through Annapolis Yacht Sales. Looks to be in amazing condition, nice navy canvas, upgraded electronics and autopilot.
It can be seen on their website -- is anyone familiar with the boat? Looks like it has been loved.
alisdairs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - if it's the one I looked at..I wasn't too impressed and walked away....I do know the owner is very motivated to sell though so if you're friend is after a deal, he might get a good buy...

Former owner 'Atlantic Reach'
1989~WK~#276
mark_swart
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend purchased the boat and plans to take delivery in FEB/MAR. She will be sailed out of Hampton, Va.
jwandling

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Ben 285 Eclipse Reply with quote

I purchased this boat about 18 months ago, and am very pleased. I am racing her PHRF in So Bay and find we are somewhat competitive depending on fleet mix and wind conditions. I have not experienced the extreme weather helm reported by some folks nor do I find our PHRF rating 195 unfair. I have all new dacron sails (Dave Baxter, Norfolk), have moved the mainsheet traveler to the bridge deck, and am very careful to keep the boat in trim, especially fore-and aft, as (with a wheel) the helm position is pretty far aft. If not careful, the boat "squats". Also learning that the sail plan likes to "breathe". I was developing a tendency to trim the jib too tight to attempt to point up with some of the J Boats in my fleet (I used to sail a J27 so was accustomed to better pointing ability). I have learned to let the J-boats go, footing off for speed, and to try to beat them on tactics. She is not a great light air boat, but is competitive in 12-18 knots and a down right hoot at 20-25. I miss my J when the 24's pass me upwind, but I love it that my wife comes sailing more. I think the private head, full galley, and decent headroom have something to do with that! BTW Annapolis Yacht Sales (Denise Hanna) did a great job on the selling and delivery end.
Brad Leslie
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase. the 285 is a very sweet boat to sail.
hope you and the wife enjoy her.

Not sure I ever experienced any severe wether helm with mine. If careful to trim her properly I always found my 285 wanting sail in the groove in just about all conditions.

I had a big geneker so in order to trim her up as the winds came up, I had to furl some in.

I sold mine to a fellow on the Potomac, you may see old Sun King in the lower Chesapeake if that is where you are.

we are sailing a Ben 361 out of the lower Potomac, look forward to meeting any of the 235/285 brothers out on the bay.

Good luck with your new boat.
89 Wing #251, Gigi
PO of Grip Fast, 87 Fin #92
PO of Sun King, 89 F285, #166
PO of Sojorn, 93 F210, #76
04 361, Grip Fast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 285 For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: