Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted f235
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Wanted f235 Reply with quote

I am interested in the purchase of a f235 with the wing keel. Anyone considering a sale please forward an email to me, Year, details, problems or repairs required should be included, with your asking price. thanks!
kent pulliam
*Original Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two for sale in the Kansas City area.I think you will find a listing with contact information on both in the For Sale area.

Both have wings. Both have been sailed exclusively in fresh water.

Hull numbers are 381 and 417 (going from memory). I don't know what the asking price is.

Good luck.
1990 - Freelance - wk - #351
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent pulliam wrote:
417 (for sale)

Kent, I do believe that 417 is already sold now to new member Mark Finley. I think he's getting the boat on Oct 6.
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent pulliam wrote:
There are two for sale in the Kansas City area.

I believe I have seen the one that sold on a brokerage the other did not have photos. Thanks for the info though.
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Rusalka looks like a very nice boat from afar, and according to one member, actually IS a nice First 235. No trailer is the only issue that's immediately apparent. See thread below.

http://beneteau235.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=33597

1988 Beneteau First 235 “Rusalka” (Hull 213) Wing keel

Boat has been very lightly used, not raced, and is in very good condition. Very clean interior with no mold or signs of leakage.

• New Portlights (2000)
• Depth Gauge and Knotmeter (2005)
• New Lifelines (2006)
• New UK Roller Furling Genoa (2001 - hardly used)
• Doyle Stackpack Main (good condition)
• Honda 9.9 Four Stroke w/extra-long shaft, electric start, and charger (Regular Service)
• New AGM (glass-mat) battery (2005)

Photos available (by e-mail) on request. (I'd hoped to include one in this posting, but I'm a novice at digital photography and need to figure out how to reduce the size.) Let me know if there's a particular shot you'd like to see, and I'll have it in a day or two.

Boat is on the hard at Bert Jabin's Yacht Yard in Annapolis. I'm available to show her most nights and weekends so feel free to call or e-mail me (thannapolis@verizon.net or 410.990.1610) if you'd like to take a look. Contact me as well if you have any questions.

Asking Price: $10,000

'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: “Rusalka” Reply with quote

Hi Kelly,
Yes, I did come across this boat now a couple of times and was meaning to send and email on this one, and one other. Thanks for the Reminder I believe I'll send him an email and research it deeper.

My thought here is that a trailor tandem axile is approximatly 3000 us or more, correct me if I am wrong here. Good equipment on the boat though from what I am reading.

I do have a couple of questions I wouldn't mind a correct answer too on the 235 they are as follows.

The 2.9 ft draft is the complete draft from the water line and not the wing keel only? Correct (Just making shure here) :) (only 4ft of H2O at my current birth)

I am also wondering, if I purchased a boat with a fin keel, would the wing keel interchange or fit with no problem? would it line up? where would I buy one? and roughly how much would it be?
Frodo
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: “Rusalka” Reply with quote

f235wanted wrote:
The 2.9 ft draft is the complete draft from the water line and not the wing keel only? Correct (Just making shure here) :) (only 4ft of H2O at my current birth)

I am also wondering, if I purchased a boat with a fin keel, would the wing keel interchange or fit with no problem? would it line up? where would I buy one? and roughly how much would it be?

keep in mind that the Rudder is actualy deeper than 2'9" in the usual (Deeper) position. You can raise it, but you'll be happier with the performance with the rudder in the deeper position.

As to finding a keel, you may be able to find someone with a Wing to swap with you. I can't imagine that buying one new would be woth the expense. If you have your heart set on a wing keel, it may be better to wait for one to come on the market.
1988, #129 Wing Keel

www.crescentyachtclub.org
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: “Rusalka” Reply with quote

Frodo wrote:
f235wanted wrote:

keep in mind that the Rudder is actualy deeper than 2'9" in the usual (Deeper) position. You can raise it, but you'll be happier with the performance with the rudder in the deeper position.

As to finding a keel, you may be able to find someone with a Wing to swap with you. I can't imagine that buying one new would be woth the expense. If you have your heart set on a wing keel, it may be better to wait for one to come on the market.

Thank for the advise, my thoughts here were to have made a swing version of the rutter for the local lake use, where my birth is, then when I choose to trailor her a half hour to the ocean make use of the regular rutter.
Frodo
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that others will pipe-in on this one...

I recall that there was one member with a Kickup Rudder. It used to be called Faster Pussycat, and is now Gitana. Saltymon is her owner, and could give you more specific data. The rudder was made by Idasailor http://www.idasailor.com .

I will say... I doubt that you'll find that she'll handle quite the same without the stock rudder. So that will give you more incentive to take her out to the Big Water!!

Good luck!

-Fro
1988, #129 Wing Keel

www.crescentyachtclub.org
logs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed on Gitana (with the kick up rudder) whilst I was in Salt Lake City earlier this year, Saltymon being a very hospitable skipper let me have a helm. I did not notice any major differences. Bearing in mind that it was light winds whilst we were out and I'm used to more substantial blows so perhaps that is not a fair comparison?
Logs, Windjana wk #264
South of Perth Yacht Club, Western Australia
www.sopyc.com.au
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logs wrote:
I sailed on Gitana (with the kick up rudder) whilst I was in Salt Lake City earlier this year, Saltymon being a very hospitable skipper let me have a helm. I did not notice any major differences. Bearing in mind that it was light winds whilst we were out and I'm used to more substantial blows so perhaps that is not a fair comparison?

Good post, thanks for the knowledge of the expirience, good sail trim in my book would make a difference to pressure on the tiller, and balance, but as I have not had any time on a 235 to play with the boat and rigging I really wouldn't know. Is there a great difference on tiller pressure between the fin and wing, how noticible is it under the same wind conditions I wonder?

Also, as I like sailing in most hard weather conditions, how well does the wing version take to these conditions? Please when submitting a response, note the wind stregnth, knots of the answer you are providing to give me an idea thanks
logs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f235wanted wrote:
Also, as I like sailing in most hard weather conditions, how well does the wing version take to these conditions? Please when submitting a response, note the wind stregnth, knots of the answer you are providing to give me an idea thanks

I'll jump in and give my 2 bob's worth for this as well. My usual spring wind conditions are 15 - 25 knots, with not infrequent 30+ knots. Anything over 15knots and I'll put a single reef in. This really helps to keep the yacht more upright and I've not noticed any reduction in speed, just a magnitude improvement in comfort and control. When 25+ is predicted I'll go out with a double reef and small jib = high cut clew job 90% or 100% I forget which it is.

There is some debate in the forum about jib sizes to use in stronger winds with some skippers preferring small main and larger jibs but I've not experimented much with that combination yet, that is planned for the spring season which has just started here (complete with a 15+ knot day followed last week by 20+ knots so the spring wind pattern is here). Summer winds includes the Fremantle doctor which is 20-35 knot sea breeze.

I have also sailed back from Rottnest Island last year in 35-40 knots and 2-3m seas. Double reef, small jib and we flew home well in control and reasonably dry. I'm not saying that the crew were not joining the white knuckle brigade, but I felt in control the whole time and certainly more confident than I've been in some other yachts of similar size. Hopefully Jake and Bry will also chip in with some comments about racing in serious conditions as I don't push the envelope even if I do go out in almost anything less than a gale warning.
Logs, Windjana wk #264
www.sopyc.com.au
Jake
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logs wrote:

There is some debate in the forum about jib sizes to use in stronger winds with some skippers preferring small main and larger jibs but I've not experimented much with that combination yet, that is planned for the spring season which has just started here (complete with a 15+ knot day followed last week by 20+ knots so the spring wind pattern is here). Summer winds includes the Fremantle doctor which is 25-35 knot sea breeze.
Hopefully Jake and Bry will also chip in with some comments about racing in serious conditions as I don't push the envelope even if I do go out in almost anything less than a gale warning.

Okay logs, I'll bite on this one too. Most of the time we sail with full main and 135% jib, up to about 18kts. Then we'll reef down. I would prefer to carry as much main as possible and go with a smaller jib, but I find it quicker while racing to reef down rather than go to the bow and change hank-on head sails. If we know we are going out in sh!t 20+kts, we'll put the small headsail (100%) up to start with and take the first reef. Keep in mind, our main on Pi is 210sq ft, so when we are at our 2nd reef, we are carrying the same sail area as the factory main at 145? sq ft.
We've raced in 25kts with gusts in the mid 30's and 6 to 8 foot seas with 100% jib and the 1st reef in. That allowed us to keep the boat pointing relatively high and fast, but I had to work the traveller like a feind to keep the boat flat in the puffs. Downwind we will normally shake the reef out and pop the kite regardless of wind conditions. Yeah, we wash the spreaders occassionally that way, but damn is she fast. The boat is very stable and sea worthy, and can be sailed above her rating with practice, but she has a very narrow groove for speed, although she is very forgiving of errors.
This is all experience based on sailing the fin keel with a slightly modified stock rudder. I can't speak for wing keel performance, although I'd love to match race with the first one that makes it down to South Florida.
s/v Pi, FK, #76

Live Slow, Sail Fast
logs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
but I had to work the traveller like a fiend to keep the boat flat in the puffs.

That us exactly my problem,i.e. finding good crew that can work the traveller as required in order to get max boat speed and good pointing. My crew is good in general stuff but still has not got the hang of the real heavy traveller work. I suppose that could said to be the "secret" for handling heavy conditions effectively?
Logs, Windjana wk #264
www.sopyc.com.au
Jake
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess that is a good part of it. I prefer that to easing the main sheet. It is quicker, and doesn't spill as much power out of the sail. This is definitely a main driven boat.
s/v Pi, FK, #76

Live Slow, Sail Fast
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Great Stuff Reply with quote

All great reading here, and a mound of usefull info to me thanks, Logs, frodo & Jake. Oh and if my wing purchase ends up comming from south florida I'll take you up on that race, before taking her home to Canada as we Most likely will be in 3 feet of snow by then.
logs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomorrow's forcast - could be interesting out on the water. I think a 2nd reef will be the order of the day (from seabreeze.com.au)

Logs, Windjana wk #264
www.sopyc.com.au
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logs wrote:

logs, i just returned from salt lake city on another matter. although i did not actually go to the lake on foot, i saw it from the air as we took off and landed. it looks more like an alien landscape than a recreational area. it does not look like a very inviting place to sail, no "beaches" and in any event the water must be horribly corrosive. the small leaflet we were given said the only life in it is bacteria, and a species of brine shrimp and even that is mostly in the southern half. they divided the lake in half building a train path, and that made the north part even brine-ier.

how was actual sailing in your experience? did the water seem different?

salt lake is about the strangest body of water i have ever seen. it's the first time i have ever seen it.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
logs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it was very different. The density is much higher so the boats sit much higher in the water and that makes them look quite odd. Also since the water is very dense there is much less swell or wake so you feel like you are going much slower than you really are.

The owners take great pains to wash down after each sail as otherwise the corrosion can get pretty bad quite quickly.
Logs, Windjana wk #264
www.sopyc.com.au
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logs wrote:
The density is much higher so the boats sit much higher

i read 3x as dense. plus i read that water skiers complain that they can feel that increased density when they fall. and that it is significant (read hurts).

can't imagine skiing in what i saw. hey, i bet you float like a dry cork, though.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
f235wanted
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: RIGHT!!! Reply with quote

Not shure on the last couple of posts here but okydoky... and rightooo..
logs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RIGHT!!! Reply with quote

f235wanted wrote:
Not shure on the last couple of posts here but okydoky... and rightooo..

just a classic case of a couple of hoons hijacking the thread - you'll get used to it

... just learn to roll with the punches and hopefully chuckle along as well.

On the salt lake sailing theme, The high density also changes the appearance of the water as the wind picks up, much flatter so you tend to underestimate the winds. I think that we had winds around the 8-10 knots at times but the water was still not much more rippled than a mill pond.
Logs, Windjana wk #264
www.sopyc.com.au
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to having more headsail up than main............forget it, this boat is all main. When you are in conditions that require less sail area, start with reducing the headsail first, then reef the main.
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
Chris Wild
Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep in mind, our main on Pi is 210sq ft, so when we are at our 2nd reef, we are carrying the same sail area as the factory main at 145? sq ft.

Jake,
What did you have to do to to the boat get the extra 65 sq ft of sail on her?

Chris
'87 Wing ~ Wild Thing ~ Hull #15
Jake
Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Wild wrote:
Jake,
What did you have to do to to the boat get the extra 65 sq ft of sail on her?

Chris

There have been a lot of modifications to Pi. To fit the oversized main we had to lose the backstay and install port and stbd runners to accomodate the roach of the sail. We also had to shift the mast forward a little and take some rake out of it to balance the boat with that much power. It was worth it, but I wouldn't recommend it to the faint at heart. It is amazing in light air. Suprising enough, it has not been a problem in a heavy blow either. We carry the full sail in more wind than we did with the PHRF cut main. The head of the sail self twists in a strong puff to keep us from overpowering as quickly. You just have to be generous with the leach of the sail and let it stay open.
s/v Pi, FK, #76

Live Slow, Sail Fast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: