Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help I need a F235

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Help I need a F235 Reply with quote

I have always wanted a Beneteau F235 ever since I have started to sail. I fell in love with one as a kid and still love them today. I am now in the market to buy one and actually live near a large lake. The problem is that most of the boats I see for sale are in the Eastern US and I live in northern Alberta. Any advice? I wouldn't mind paying to ship or even traveling to pick it up, but if it becomes to cost prohibitive then it isn't worth it. I also don;t want to be paying $14900 for one in the north west like this one http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1385595&slim=ywpbs&

If anyone can offer suggestion to help me get my dream boat I would be forever grateful.
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you find a nice one.

i agree. dream boat! i really REALLY love mine.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
KC49111
First Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eastern States may be where you're limited to finding one. There were 2 in California last year at reasonable prices, but generally the further you get from where Beneteau made them the more expensive they are. You'll have to pay GST to bring one in, but with no PST in Alberta you save a bit compared to BC. Based on the one sold here last year and the one I brought in I would say the Canadian market value for one in good shape is not much less than $20K CAD.

You'd have to pay a premium to get it to Fort McMurray, but there are lots of transports coming from South East to North West (ie new Beneteaus,Hunters and J's shipping to Seattle/Vancouver) that can combine a load with a small boat like a 235. Shipping was $2,400 USD last year from Alabama to Vancouver, but that might be a hard price to find again. Follow the usual leads like Yachtworld and E-bay (several good deals there recently).
Ian #079 1987 Fin
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider very strongly buying one of the lower-priced boats with a trailer in the US' SE area. There also seem to be a few reasonably priced OK boats for sale in the Mid-west area. It would be a bit of a drag bringing a boat all the way back to Alberta, but if you took 5-6 days over it, maybe the trip wouldn't be so bad.
You have seen the two F235s currently for sale on ebay (auctions end in the next 1-2 days I think)?
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')

Last edited by nquigley on Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as grim as I made it sound and I am definitely in the mindset that I will have to travel to bring the boat up. I know that the cost would be too high to bring it to Fort McMurray but I wouldn't object to it being delivered to Winnipeg say or even Vancouver. Both good spots that I could drive to to grab. It's just the drive to the southern states and back would be a good two weeks I think. I have a lot to think about as well about boats. I found out the lake I am sailing on is deeper then I thought which opens things up like a good used F265 say.

So what do you guys think. I like the 235 for many reasons but are there any limitations that you may have experienced that I should know about?
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do really like the looks of this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4557133247&category=63730&sspagename=WDVW
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lchivers wrote:

So what do you guys think. I like the 235 for many reasons but are there any limitations that you may have experienced that I should know about?

The only down-side I can think of is that it's not really as 'trailerable' as some might be looking for: it requires a reasonably steep/deep ramp for trailer launching/retrieval (or a hoist) - even the wing keel, and the F235 is maybe a bit too heavy to pull with an average family car if going over any kinds of significant grades (with the boat full of gear and the car full of people and/or gear. While the mast up/down routine is not too much of a hassle, I would not want to have to do it more than a couple of times each way per season.
However, if you plan to leave it in the water at one, or maybe one or two location(s), it will be a great boat for short-handed sailing and some 'small family' cruises and overnight trips. Once you start talking about satisfaction in the water (eg, sailing performance, quality of construction and finishing, features, accomodation, etc), then there are very few other boats that can claim to match this boat for value for $$ and owner satisfaction (IMHO).
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: just curious Reply with quote

Disclaimer: this is not to rain on anyone's parade.

I am curious, though, If the boat was boat a year ago in maryland and is now in North Carolina, why does it have Pennsylvania registration numbers? Or is my monitor misleading me?
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: just curious Reply with quote

Daryl S wrote:
Disclaimer: this is not to rain on anyone's parade. I am curious, though, If the boat was boat a year ago in maryland and is now in North Carolina, why does it have Pennsylvania registration numbers? Or is my monitor misleading me?

Hey man, you love raining on parades, dont you?

I can think of several reasons why it has PA numbers, one being that those pictures are OLD and the ones he had when he BOUGHT the boat. The other being that MD and PA border each other and the guy registered the boat where he sailed it. I had SC numbers on my boat for 15 months before I changed them to NC.

kh
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thanks to everyone who has help guide me towards my boat.
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, It is a great boat.
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lchivers wrote:
Just a quick thanks to everyone who has help guide me towards my boat.

Did you find a boat? Someone got the NC boat you linked above.

kh
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it yet but I sure have had a lot of potential good leads. We'll see in the coming months. The boat that is the strongest possibility won;t be available until the fall, so I won't be able to go sailing until next year.
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have it yet but I sure have had a lot of potential good leads.

Opps--I thought you ment you found a boat.
Stay tuned as it seems most of the F235's that are for sale appear here one way or another.
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that might be close enough to you - it has a trailer too! You might not get a similar opportunity in your general part of Nth America this year.
http://beneteau235.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7903#7903

Cheers
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah go for it dude!!!!!
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad thanks for finding it. It's 300 KM over my limit for travel but when it is within that reach it isn't so bad. I do have a guy in San Fran who may bee getting rid of his as well as guy in Calgary (really close, relatively anyway) who may have one for sale in that fall if he is transfered, could be slim but saving a few grand is saving a few grand. I just find the price difference between the east coast and west coast amazing.
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lchivers wrote:
I just find the price difference between the east coast and west coast amazing.

Yeah, boat prices on the left coast, and especially in the NW seem way high. They seem to be about the cheapest, for F235s at least, in the SE - which doesn't help you at all :-(
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, boat prices on the left coast, and especially in the NW seem way high. They seem to be about the cheapest, for F235s at least, in the SE - which doesn't help you at all :-(

Interesting, isn't it. What could be some of the possible reasons? Supply and demand---more boats around here and fewer people wanting them. OR is it the economy?
lchivers
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nologic wrote:
Quote:

Interesting, isn't it. What could be some of the possible reasons? Supply and demand---more boats around here and fewer people wanting them. OR is it the economy?

I would have to say the transportation costs. The average I found for moving a boat is $1 per km. Hence the $4,000 difference. That is just MHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: