Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1988 Wingkeel F235 Englewood, Co

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingkaj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: 1988 Wingkeel F235 Englewood, Co Reply with quote

Looks like a higher price boat with a trailer that has had a lot of prep work done:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/19141
jackdaw
Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Tongue-weight, batman!

Sittin' kinda forward, I'm thinkin'
david
Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks to be in very good shape. so shiny!

jackdaw wrote:
Holy Tongue-weight, batman!

Sittin' kinda forward, I'm thinkin'

I don't know.. my boat sits on my single axle trailer with the aft edge of the wing sitting about 3-4" aft of the axle. the tongue weight is about 400lbs.
I would guess that the centre of balance is about at the aft edge of the keel at the hull.
hawrylyshyn
Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I measured/got my boat, the tongue weight was well over 700 lbs (which I didn't know). I moved the boat back about a foot & am now slightly over 350 on a tandem axle trailer. The tongue weight of my trailer with no boat is well over 200.

The angle of the photo doesn't help, but I expect the weight is up there.

Link has a table of recommended tongue weights for a single or tandem axle trailer (10 to 15%):

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

Tongue weight isn't hard to measure with a bathroom scale & is worth knowing. Link for using a bathroom scale. The diagram shows the beam going the same way as the axles, I found it easier to go perpendicular to the axles:

http://www.metrotrailers.com/safetytips.html

I was told a tongue weight range of 7 to 10% by the manufacturer of my trailer (same as David's) and that I shouldn't exceed 700 lbs. I expect boat & trailer weighs around 4,500 to 5,000 lbs. 7% gives a minimum tongue weight of 350 lbs.

Be aware for our boat, using 10-15% or 500 to 750 lbs tongue weight, exceeds the maximum rating for many trailer hitches.
david
Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, you have a double axle? where does the aft edge of the wing sit in relation to the axles?

Yes, 10% is the number to shoot for. without using a bathroom scale, I just use the general rule of thumb: The average man should not be able to lift it but two men should just be able to. That would put the weight around 400.

it's important to have an idea where the centre of balance of the boat is so you can position that point on the forward axle, or a few inches forward of the single axle, depending on the tongue weight before loading the boat..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: