Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about shipping abroad!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: question about shipping abroad! Reply with quote

hi there!
although i am not an owner,(the reason mainly is because i'll be relocating to europe for 3-5 years) yet, i have a question about taking a first-235 to europe!
from what i heard there are strict regulations about conformity certification. a norm(s) called, CE-certification, that might prevent or at least make import complicated. here in the us we don't have such regulations and am wondering if someone is knwoledgable about this subject. i know that some boats have been sold/bought and shipped to europe. there has to be a way! also, the first 235 is, or has been produced in france/europe at some point. most of them swing keel, or fin. no wing from what i understand. besides the $ is close to double. anyone can help!
thanks,
rudy
siggib
First Mate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: question about shipping abroad! Reply with quote

rudy wrote:
hi there!
although i am not an owner,(the reason mainly is because i'll be relocating to europe for 3-5 years) yet, i have a question about taking a first-235 to europe!
from what i heard there are strict regulations about conformity certification. a norm(s) called, CE-certification, that might prevent or at least make import complicated. here in the us we don't have such regulations and am wondering if someone is knwoledgable about this subject. i know that some boats have been sold/bought and shipped to europe. there has to be a way! also, the first 235 is, or has been produced in france/europe at some point. most of them swing keel, or fin. no wing from what i understand. besides the $ is close to double. anyone can help!
thanks,
rudy

I had some conversation about this subject rencently. Some knowledgeable people (from germany) explained to me that it is
"CE" or nothing. You will not be able to import any Boat that does not have a CE certificate. If you are not a citizen or don't have have a permanent residence in the EU you can stay up to 18 month (not sure about the 18) in EU waters. Besides the CE problem, if you import, you will owe taxes plus toll to the country of entry. Taxed is the value of the vessel + Transport. I think the tax rate is the difference between US and it's country of Entry Tax rate. IE in Germany 21 - 7 US = 14% ??
just guess another 2.5% for Toll. I guess the value of a f235 could be 10k+transport maybe 5k. 15x0.165= $2475 at the port of entry.
For a boat this size and value I think it is not worth the headake.

SB
1992 Wing Hull #421
Idefix
Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding CE certification: the system is in effect a self-certification process, where companies have to guarantee that their products comply with all relevant safety and manufacturing standards. For boats, builders must use approved testing facilities to validate their conformity claims. In other words, it would be up to Beneteau to provide you with the relevant documentation. You could check with Ben USA if their boats were built identical to their European cousins, but I suspect it would be Ben France who would have to issue you the certificate. Note that since the F235 was mainly built before the current CE standards for boatbuilding were published in 94, I'm not sure the CE certificate is actually needed - worth checking for sure.

My strong suspicion is that CE certification will be not be enough though. Every country still has its own safety regulations to some extent - and you might need to get the boat inspected and adapted to local rules, especially with regards to additional safety gear needed on board (Europeans are much stricter on safety gear than the US or Canada). Countries vary greatly in how rigourous they are in imposing and checking safety gear. France is notoriously picky. You should check the regulations of the country you are moving to.

On the issue of importing the boat: I assume no duty would be due if it's part of your "household" i.e. if you import it as part of moving your whole household to Europe. Typically used personal goods are exempt of any duty in a move. A new boat would be a different matter, since one could argue that if it was bought just before the move, it should have been bought (and taxed) in Europe. Any good customs broker should be able to answer this question.

Good luck!
Idefix - Hull #336
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: