Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'87 F235 Hurricane Wilma victim - Miami (SOLD)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we have to wait to see if the new owner of Skyyking is already/joins the forum, and reports on his/her progress in fixing up the boat.....hint, hint...
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auction was ended early? This whole thing never quite got off on the right foot... Ending the auction early is a bit unforunate and something I never like to see although I am sure there are probably circumstances involved. Personally, once the item is up for auction, I think it should at least be carried to the conclusion. Oh well....
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>

Last edited by abstrait on Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
<snip> Personally, once the item is up for auction, I think it should at least be carried to the conclusion. Oh well....

The problem for the seller with waiting until the auction's end is that you're legally obliged to sell to the highest bidder (after any reserve is met). However, if someone comes along in person before then an offers to pay more than you think the auction might bring, it would be better for the seller to terminate the auction (a bird in the hand ... and all that). Besides, you won't have to deal with post-auction hassles with an out-of-town buyer (e.g., waiting to get paid, getting the boat removed, potential arguements about the boat being 'not as advertised', etc). The on-the-spot buyer has seen the boat in the flesh, pays instantly, and drags the boat away. Done!
Having said all that, it's preferred and common practice in ebay auctions to declare in the description that the item may be sold independently before the auction is over - that statement was not made in this auction's description so bidders had good reason to expect it to go to term.
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it would be better for the seller to terminate the auction (a bird in the hand ... and all that). Besides, you won't have to deal with post-auction hassles with an out-of-town buyer (e.g., waiting to get paid, getting the boat removed, potential arguements about the boat being 'not as advertised', etc).

Considering the way the last F235 on a Ebay auction turned out, ending early with a comfirmed buyer might be a very good idea. Ebay clearly states an auction can end early, so people shouldn't be too surprised.
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Final Post Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of your help, support and silly questions about where the boat came from. I agree that an auction should run to the conclusion, but when a boat is in Miami and a local person makes a handsome bid the seller should do what he feels is best. I cleared all of this with Ebay prior to ending the auction.

I wasn't trying to get rich, just to move the boat from the club as soon as possible and hopefully be very fair to the buyer in the process. I did offer it to the Forum people first.

I hope you all have a great sailing year, thanks... Again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: