Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'87 F235 (wing) in GA - SOLD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: '87 F235 (wing) in GA - SOLD Reply with quote

This looks like a very well-equiped F235 in good condition, and for a very good price:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=ywpbs&boat_id=1379170&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=56149&url=
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
Kupe
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another GA boat for sail Reply with quote

nquigley wrote:
This looks like a very well-equiped F235 in good condition, and for a very good price:

I saw that too, and frankly it troubles me to see yet another apparently nice 235 being sold for what I feel are near "parts boat" prices. I know this boat, and it is on the same lake as the 235 that sold on eBay earlier this year for 5K and change. Now this one.

We all know that a clean and well-maintained 235 is worth far more than that. In fact, an NADA check on my 1989 235 "Celestial" (which is in exceptional condition) puts it at just around $14K with all options factored in.

Obviously, this is great for someone looking to buy a 235, but as we are by-and-large 235 owners, it pains me to see these boats being devalued in this way. It hurts us all. Oh well.

Dave

Last edited by Kupe on Thu May 12, 2005 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it troubles me to see yet another apparently nice 235 being sold for what I feel are near "part boat" prices.

Dave,
I agree with you completely. I hope this one gets as good of a home as the last one that left your lake did.

I have been to Lake Lainer several times----it is a great place. Beautiful lake and great sailors.
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll hurt even more to hear that I got an email from another L. Lanier owner last week who's offering his 1987 F235 (basic equipment only, OK condition ... except all the headliner has pulled down) for ... $5500! The ~$11500 I paid two years ago (with trailer and with some extras) is looking a bit sick - especially when I consider what I've put into it since then!
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nquigley wrote:
The ~$11500 I paid two years ago (with trailer and with some extras) is looking a bit sick - especially when I consider what I've put into it since then!

you shouldn't think of it like this. you love her, right?
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: what's it worth Reply with quote

It's a ticklish problem. I saw an ad out of chicago recently on a trailered 235 with a killer sail inventory . . . . literally thousands of dollars worth of dacron and higher tech sail . . . for 10K. The boat sold within the week.

I'm going on a test sail Sunday on a Pearson 26. Asking price is half that of a 235 and it's a good solid design. There's lots of competition out there on the market.

If the pearson is sound and the seller motivated it'll be a hard one to walk away from.

There is no question that the baby ben's are commanding premium prices. But the 15K $ ads are boats that are perpetually for sale. They won't sell at that price (except in really unusual circumstances)

just mho, ymmv
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: what's it worth Reply with quote

Daryl S wrote:
It's a ticklish problem. I saw an ad out of chicago recently on a trailered 235 with a killer sail inventory . . . . literally thousands of dollars worth of dacron and higher tech sail . . . for 10K. The boat sold within the week.

I'm going on a test sail Sunday on a Pearson 26. Asking price is half that of a 235 and it's a good solid design. There's lots of competition out there on the market.

If the pearson is sound and the seller motivated it'll be a hard one to walk away from.

There is no question that the baby ben's are commanding premium prices. But the 15K $ ads are boats that are perpetually for sale. They won't sell at that price (except in really unusual circumstances)

just mho, ymmv

Daryl.....have you lost your mind? Maybe you have been looking at to many yellow line's in the road? maybe you got sweetner in your head? You need to get to GA & buy that boat!
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
wgnorth
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna chime in here. Since I paid a premium price for my boat like Neil did, it definitely hurts the feelings to see great boats go on the cheap. Of course, I had cheaper options that I passed up due to multiple considerations. I didn't want to look for a trailer or buy one new or make one fit...I didn't want miles and miles of travel across multiple states...I didn't want to have to perform major repairs. I did a refit on my boat when I bought it; new sails, new lines, new sheaves, and a few minor fixes. I knew going in I would have to do this on any boat I bought so it was a wash with that money spent. Did I spend more than I had to, yes, did I mind making the trade off, no. I think boat ownership and buying is about the trade offs and enjoyment received from your work and efforts, not the total dollars spent at the end of the day...because lord knows..it will have been too much.
1992 Fin #424
s/v Pretty Baby
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: you've got a good point Reply with quote

Quote:

Did I spend more than I had to, yes, did I mind making the trade off, no. I think boat ownership and buying is about the trade offs and enjoyment received from your work and efforts, not the total dollars spent at the end of the day...because lord knows..it will have been too much.

You make a good point in re satisfaction. Hell, I'm getting so old I bought a used car last year and paid the dealer's asking price! (talk about feeblemindedness <g>) But the price was fair and I truly enjoy putting round town with the top down, so what the hey.

Still, if it's a matter of several thousand dollars versus a little road trip, or a little patience I'm not too proud to avoid excess spreading of the green.
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think boat ownership and buying is about the trade offs and enjoyment received from your work and efforts, not the total dollars spent at the end of the day...because lord knows..it will have been too much.

I agree completely. Perhaps I paid too much for my F235, but I really don't think so. Could I get the same price for it now? I don't know and don't want to try.

My last boat cost very little to start. But I had to have it transported, get a trailer, do a bottom job, all new standing and running rigging, deck repairs, new sails---on it went. I don't regret doing any of the work. It was a good experience and I learned a great deal. How do I put a dollar value on the time spent working on that boat when so much of the work was so rewarding? What kind of dollar value can be placed on the hours of pleasure spent on the boat? I gained more self worth and self confidence working on and sailing that boat than I did in 40 years of living, but I don't want to go though that whole procedure again. This F235 was clean, beautiful, in great condition, had many updates and worth every penny to me.
wgnorth
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agreed Daryl. In my case, I still trailered the boat 300 miles home. My trade off was the fin vs. the wing. I wanted the fin keel and was willing to pay a little more for it. I also don't have the time to make lots of repairs and although I enjoy tinkering about...with my limited time, I need to use it sailing. Still would have been nice to steal a pristine boat for under $6K....(laughing as he writes another check...).
1992 Fin #424
s/v Pretty Baby
Kupe
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gang- all good thoughts and perspectives. I really think that ridiculous eBay sale is still rippling through the 235 community- especially here on the lake where it happened.

I'm simply not going to give Celestial away for a tiny fraction of her value. I know the right buyer will come along.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You make a good point in re satisfaction. Hell, I'm getting so old I bought a used car last year and paid the dealer's asking price! (talk about feeblemindedness <g>) But the price was fair and I truly enjoy putting round town with the top down, so what the hey.

Still, if it's a matter of several thousand dollars versus a little road trip, or a little patience I'm not too proud to avoid excess spreading of the green.

Is a Pearson 26 really equally comaparable to a F235 in terms of value, sailing performance, fun factor?
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Quote:
Is a Pearson 26 really equally comaparable to a F235 in terms of value, sailing performance, fun factor?

tough terms to define, Sue. The 235, accomodations wise, is the closest thing to a 26 foot boat you can squeeze into 23 feet. Stylewise the ben beats the pearson hands down. I'll have a better idea of after I sail her sunday as to handling.

On my personal plus side the Pearson is a bit larger, has a dinette style interior, has a clipper bow as opposed to a plumb stem (reserve bouyancy . . . check out the recent lake lanier pics of the spinout), has a balsa cored deck (great if it's been maintained well, a nightmare if not), an inboard rudder shorter than the keel and a centered outboard well. It's also much cheaper, at this point nearly all of depreciation is out of it, value is a pure play on condition.

On my personal minus side the Pearson is not as good looking, will be a greater headache to trailer launch, is a masthead rig and hasn't been an object of lust for 15 years.

Also in the mix for me is a catalina 27.

Hey! I've already confessed I have a really, really complex mission statement <G>

My real problem is my inability to afford a 30 foot boat and the ancillary expenses of moving it and servicing it. I anticipate living aboard for 3 to 6 month periods of time when I retire. I've high hopes of making the east coast great circle: up the Mississippi/Illinois rivers to Lake Michigan, down through Huron and Erie to the canal into the Hudson, down the eastern seaboard to the gulf and back up the river/canal systems home. This is what Missouri hillbillies call a circumnavigation <grin> and it's a 12 month haul, or nearly so anyway. Oh, yeah, I forgot winter in the bahamas, at least once.

Having said all this I can see the flames arising already. Spare me, please . . . I know i'm crazy and I know that none of the three boats above mentioned, in their normal configuration (mostly read stowage here) are real practical.

Quote:

"she said,why don't we both just sleep on it tonight
and i believe in the morning you'll begin to see the light"
and then she kissed me and i realized she probably was right
there must be 50 ways to leave your harbor

wgnorth
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Pearson 26 as well, as its a great PHRF racer on a budjet. Check the keel bolts carefully as the boats have had problems in that area if not maintained. There is much info available online about it.
1992 Fin #424
s/v Pretty Baby
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are joking--right?
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nologic wrote:
Quote:

You are joking--right?

I don't think ole Daryl jokes much, or is it he jokes too much?

Next thing he'll be looking at is a Bayliner........heh
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next thing he'll be looking at is a Bayliner........heh

Or maybe a Macgregor 26..............
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: speachless (nearly) Reply with quote

Children, don't get snooty, it's not becoming.
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Be sure to let us know how the trail sail on the Pearson 26 goes on Sunday.
Blown Away
Navigator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl, There are several couples in our cruising club that have done the Great Loop trip. They all make the trip in the other direction to take advantage of the river currents instead of fighting them. They also recommend a longer time period for the trip. Most say that a year is not long enough to enjoy all of the great places to stop and these are powerboaters making better speed underway. I hope to make that trip some day myself.
Hull# 50
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: boat report Pearson 26 Reply with quote

THanks for the info, Dan. I'd thought about the current issue. My main reason for the schedule is dodging both cold weather and hurricane season. It seems one can't really do both at the same time <grin>

Well, I went for a sail today. Boat is question is a Pearson 26, described on the telephone as "really, really clean and nice" Well, I suppose all things are relative.

It was a beautiful day for a little sail: cool in the upper sixties but clear skies and a north wind base 12 to 15 gusting to 20 or so. Wind was trying to clock to the east. The best speed in the protected mooring cove was about 5 with a johnson 9.9. I actually hit 6 on a close reach. 5.2 was best I could do off the quarter. I was disapointed but suspect there is a real garden growing beneath this beast. This is the seller's first boat. He launched it 18 months ago and it's been in the water since. God only knows what the bottom looked like when he put it in.

Evidently, much research was done in the 70's on boat color, I'm sure in an egalitarian effort to not discriminate against poorly neophytes suffering from sea sickness. The result was a shade of blue/green noxious enough to turn the stomach of the most seasoned tar amoungst us. Toting up the price of paint, sails, proper lines, reapolstering (I think there's supposed to be an 'h' in there somewhere) I'm going to take a pass.

Upon entering the cabin I was reminded that interior volume is more determined by length of waterline than length on deck. Marketing being what it is, the designers decreed that four people should be deprived of sleep together, another egalitarian remnent of the hippie generation I suspect. If one were to gut the interior and rebuild in mind of 1 or 2 folks cruising it could be a nice boat.

Well, there ya goes, Sue. My book report <g>

Fair winds, all
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I went for a sail today. Boat is question is a Pearson 26, described on the telephone as "really, really clean and nice" Well, I suppose all things are relative.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Sorry the boat was a disappointment, but I'm glad the day was beautiful. I spent a cool rainy Sunday on the side of a NC mountian mucking about in muck and mud. Got some time on a winch, but it was a very different beast. And that is a different story.

I'm one of those touchy, feely people that truely believes you will know it when you find the right boat. She will speak to you. Crewing during local races has allowed me to spend time on seveal different boats which was very helpful in choosing the F235. I don't plan to live on her for any length of time. To be honest, the lack of standing head room would be very frustrating to me. There are many great sailboats out there. I do hope you get the chance to sail a F235---you are welcome to spend time on mine if you can get to Columbia, SC :-)
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good deal GA F235 is now SOLD.

kh
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
Yowzah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: GA B235 Reply with quote

Well, I guess I should Chime In. I bought that GA Boat Yowzah for a bit less the the asking price. After pulling her Out I notice that not only did she need a new bottom, But she was a Fin Keel and not a Wing Keel.

Lucky Me.
Hull # 157-
Lake Lanier, GA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: