Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beneteau First 235 currently advertised via Yachtworld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Beneteau First 235 currently advertised via Yachtworld Reply with quote

If you want to get an idea of basic online First 235 sale activity, the first resource (besides here) has to be Yachtworld. While it's surely not comprehensive as there are many other sources online and off, it's a good place to start.

A Yachtworld search usually yields a handful of F235, most in the US while a few filter in from overseas.

Link: YachtWorld's Beneteau F235 Sale Lineup

kh
artkey
First Mate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The asking prices are about double in Europe ($US) than in the US.
"Ballerina," 1992, hull #429, wing keel, FL Keys
abstrait

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artkey wrote:

Hence the owners migrating from EU to the USA to shop for the First 235. We've actually had quite a few bring boats from here to there and beyond, looking to save some ducats in the process. While you go through some extra hassle, it IS a way to save. Sadly, for those living in NA, it means less First 235s within these shores...
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
artkey wrote:

Hence the owners migrating from EU to the USA to shop for the First 235. We've actually had quite a few bring boats from here to there and beyond, looking to save some ducats in the process. While you go through some extra hassle, it IS a way to save. Sadly, for those living in NA, it means less First 235s within these shores...

half the inquiries on windependent were from overseas.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
logs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
Sadly, for those living in NA, it means less First 235s within these shores...

Don't ask me to bring her back - no chance, Windjana is staying where she is. And I'm sure that she is enjoying the sunshine even if if does get to be over 100 for several days straight.

And next weekend she gets a holiday to see Rottnest Island for the first time - approx 20 miles due west of the coast.
Logs, Windjana wk #264
South of Perth Yacht Club, Western Australia
www.sopyc.com.au
Deggz
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Aussie prices Reply with quote

Just for interest sake, Shindig cost me AUS$23,500 (1 thousand bucks a foot). The owner had set an asking price of $28,000...

Of course these prices are in Australian Roubles...the exchange rate is about US$0.80 at the moment, the strongest it's been for some time. That makes Shindig's price approx US$18,800. Not quite as expensive as the European boats but getting there. We just don't have the market volume for yachts and second hand boats are holding or increasing in value at present, at least out on the east coast - I'm not sure of the situation over in Logs part of the world.
Shindig | EU#69
60 Galoola Drive
NELSON BAY
NSW 2315 Australia
+61 2 4981 0145
abstrait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road to the dream EU purchase of a US boat can be a dream with minor potholes or a MONSTER PIT OF HELL. In the years this thing has been active, I've seen both. Luckily, it seems we have some GREAT success stories recently. And we had one horror story that still has yet to be surpassed... Luckily, the boat had a happy ending but the poor chap overseas didnt see the best of that one.
Deggz
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've been extremely lucky with my purchase Kelly, similar boats in Oz are much more expensive and there just isn't anything that comes close to the quality in design and build - not to mention the finesse of the F235 on the second hand market over here. The closest thing in the new market is a Beneteau First 25.7 - but we're talking big dollars!

For some reason Australia, home of many great dinghy designs such as the 18footers, Northbridge Seniors, etc (I don't include any Bethwaite designs like the 49er in the great category) has a high proportion of ugly, slow, small yacht designs... Go figure. There just aren't any new locally produced boats coming on the market either...at least in the cruiser racer market for boats less than 30ft. Labour prices are prohibitively expensive here so we'll probably see something coming out of China soon I guess, but the trend seems to be toward bigger and more expensive boats at the luxury end of the market... A worldwide trend I'm sure. It keeps second hand prices high at our end of the scale (which is great for the seller) .

So I'm one extremely happy customer and I'm sure if I ever take leave of my senses and sell Shindig I'll fetch a good price for her! The competition was hot when I bought the boat, I was lucky to get there first.
Shindig | EU#69
60 Galoola Drive
NELSON BAY
NSW 2315 Australia
+61 2 4981 0145
abstrait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. Actually, this boat is so much better made than many others in this size range. Not to say there arent other great boats, or boats I might like to own, but this boat is a unique combination of quality and build that's rare. Used values in the US are a great deal. The only problem here is when the price creeps up into the range that might be the beginning of a size up, a size that might better serve some buyers. But man, I cant think of many boats Ive had as much fun sailing that offer THIS MUCH BOAT for so little, and with a build and style that make it extremely unique. Really glad you and ole Logs had great results and are totally happy with the decision.

Last edited by abstrait on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
logs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to get my 2 bobs worth in.
Windjana is currently valued at A$46K, approx US$37K. I did not pay that much (in total including purchase, transport, dock fees etc) although it was quite a bit higher than what Deggz paid. The insurance value is based on what else is around and the values assigned to those yachts. There are very few yachts 28' and under here in Perth that are less than 20 years old and most are more than that and few are in such good condition. When we purchased Windjana we were looking all over Oz for a yacht as we had been quite disappointed by what was available locally. Once we got to start looking all over Oz, it was only a small step to look globally. Shipping costs from the US were not that much higher than the cost of bring a yacht from the east coast.

I was looking at a locally (Adelaide) made yacht (cruiser/racer) from Nolex which looked interesting, but at A$60K for the starting price it still looks like I got a bargain with Windjana. For A$60K I could have got a 10 year old H****r :(

This site was a major reason behind our decision to purchase a F235, mainly for the help and support available and for the assistance in climbing ceilingwards far more than once a month, excuse the cross-thread reference <vbg>
Logs, Windjana wk #264
South of Perth Yacht Club, Western Australia
www.sopyc.com.au
audeojude
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see an awesome European summer sailing vacation on your f235 just before selling.

do the float on float off ship thing from here to europe and the sail around the med for a few months.

Have a seller already lined up over there before you ever go.

say it costs you 4000 to 6000 to transport the boat .. you should still be able to net 15000 to 20000 or so from the sale of the boat.. :) big chunk torward the next bigger boat.
Wing Keel
Conway, SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jake
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audeojude wrote:
I could see an awesome European summer sailing vacation on your f235 just before selling.

do the float on float off ship thing from here to europe and the sail around the med for a few months.

Have a seller already lined up over there before you ever go.

say it costs you 4000 to 6000 to transport the boat .. you should still be able to net 15000 to 20000 or so from the sale of the boat.. :) big chunk torward the next bigger boat.

$4K to $6K to transport the boat. You don't get out much, do you, Scott. Average Dockwise or Seven Seas Transport cost right now are around $1K a foot to ship the boat. That means $23,500USD to get your boat to Europe. If you take it apart, including keel, and stuff it in a container, you might get it there for $10K. The Mini650 guys that trained down here got sponsorship from Seven Seas Transport just to be able to ship for free. Stripped and boxed, their sponsorship is worth $8K at cost. You could transport it to Europe and maybe get home with a little less than you could have sold the boat for in the States.
s/v Pi, FK, #76

Live Slow, Sail Fast
audeojude
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit!!!!

i swear i was reading one of the sail magazines a couple months ago that talked about it starting around 4 or 5 grand..

oh well so much for that nifty idea
Wing Keel
Conway, SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jake
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got asked to remove the teak bow sprit from a Formosa style ketch because the shipping was going to be $6K cheaper with the sprit in the salon instead of on the bow.
s/v Pi, FK, #76

Live Slow, Sail Fast
audeojude
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was it being shipped? rig down or on a float on of ship with rig up?
Wing Keel
Conway, SC
Granny
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One factor often forgotten is the levying of VAT on a yacht imported into Europe. In the UK that is20%.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: