Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$12000 price drop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimdog
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: $12000 price drop. Reply with quote

1986 wing in Kelowna.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/19088
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, $23,750 obo with trailer including all equipment, rigging and sail inventory. Serious offers only. Serious indeed. That price is definitely for someone seriously wanting ye olde First 235...

'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
ENJ62
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not kidding. My boat brand new in 1993 and including a honda outboard cost $23,700. I still have the original reciept and I think the trailer may have come with it.

Ed
slimdog
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was asking $36000 a few months ago.

http://beneteau235.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4431

Wonder what changed?
Weird Beard
First Mate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep in mind this is Canada and not the US. Expect a 25-35% premium minimum on a boat up here, tack on the fact that this boat is freshwater only, and $23,000 is not a bad price giving how it is outfitted. Car's are the same deal, if you go through the hassle of importing them, you can save $3000 on the same $20,000 new car.

I paid close to $18k CAD for Weird Beard - Then sold the trailer for about $2500. It is outfitted similiarily to proton, but was a saltwater boat. I'd say Proton's price is bang on for the Canadian market for a boat in this kind of condition. Let's also remember, that up here, if you want a modern sub 25'-er, you don't have many options at all.
Hull #041
Maple Bay, BC, Canada
david
Tactician

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting pulpit mod:

ENJ62
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony ,
That's interesting . I guess your boat economics differs from your Vintage Farm tractor economics . It seems every tractor I have ever purchased or a fellow collector has purchased up there is always alot cheaper ,Thats why we get them there.

Learn something new everyday

ED
slimdog
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird Beard wrote:
Let's keep in mind this is Canada and not the US. Expect a 25-35% premium minimum on a boat up here, tack on the fact that this boat is freshwater only, and $23,000 is not a bad price giving how it is outfitted. Car's are the same deal, if you go through the hassle of importing them, you can save $3000 on the same $20,000 new car.

I paid close to $18k CAD for Weird Beard - Then sold the trailer for about $2500. It is outfitted similiarily to proton, but was a saltwater boat. I'd say Proton's price is bang on for the Canadian market for a boat in this kind of condition. Let's also remember, that up here, if you want a modern sub 25'-er, you don't have many options at all.

What do you mean by premium? Is it that most of the boats in Canada were bought from the states when the exchange rate was crap.

So if I wanted to get a boat in the states lets say for $12000 and then drive it up here how much do you think it would cost with the exchange, tax and to register it in Canada?

What made you buy a boat so close to home?

Cheers

S
JDF
Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the pulpit mod is curious.
And where is the bow light?
87 fin #64
Lake Michigan @ Chicago
Paul and Lynn Mayeski
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember from a previous post that the pulpit mod allows him to hang the spinnaker bag in front of the forestay.
JDF
Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I see that in his 3rd pic of the boat - with the chute up.
interesting.
87 fin #64
Lake Michigan @ Chicago
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is one clean boat, worth every penny.........
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
Weird Beard
First Mate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimdog wrote:
So if I wanted to get a boat in the states lets say for $12000 and then drive it up here how much do you think it would cost with the exchange, tax and to register it in Canada?

What made you buy a boat so close to home?

If you bought a boat for $12,000 in the US you would be looking at a number of things. Firstly exchange, so tack on 5-10% depending on what the dollar is doing that day. In BC you are now going to be paying 12% HST on the purchase as you bring it across the border. Plus you are going to spend a bunch on inspections and certificates (I believe) to get it OK'd for Canadian registation. Add in transport and you are starting to get pretty close to the $16-18k that it would cost to buy the same boat locally but a WAY bigger pain in the ass.

ENJ62 - As a rule of thumb everything is more expensive in Canada, regardless of Exchange. These boats were made as the exchange rate got really bad, so that definately played in role in the cross border cost difference. But it also has to do with the transport cost and the premium that is charged to bring goods across an international border. Even with cars right now, which have seen HUGE price reductions in Canada as the dollar has reached near parity, you still save A LOT of money by jumping the border. Why? Good question. Especially considering many of our vehicles are Canadian built.
Hull #041
Maple Bay, BC, Canada
slimdog
Rail Meat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Weird Beard. Yes it sounds like a huge pain in the ass to cross boarder shop for boats. Hopefully someday I can comment on the procedure a little more if I ever find the cash to splurge on a F235.

Hopefully jwc will have some luck before me and share in the process.
david
Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird Beard wrote:

If you bought a boat for $12,000 in the US you would be looking at a number of things. Firstly exchange, so tack on 5-10% depending on what the dollar is doing that day. In BC you are now going to be paying 12% HST on the purchase as you bring it across the border. Plus you are going to spend a bunch on inspections and certificates (I believe) to get it OK'd for Canadian registation. Add in transport and you are starting to get pretty close to the $16-18k that it would cost to buy the same boat locally but a WAY bigger pain in the ass.

ENJ62 - As a rule of thumb everything is more expensive in Canada, regardless of Exchange. These boats were made as the exchange rate got really bad, so that definately played in role in the cross border cost difference. But it also has to do with the transport cost and the premium that is charged to bring goods across an international border. Even with cars right now, which have seen HUGE price reductions in Canada as the dollar has reached near parity, you still save A LOT of money by jumping the border. Why? Good question. Especially considering many of our vehicles are Canadian built.

My experience of bringing my boat across the border was anything but a pain in the ass.
The only "added" expense was a couple hundred bucks to the customs broker but..
The dollar was on parity. No special inspections or certificates were needed for the free canadian registration. transportation is the same as transporting it across canadian soil. HST applies regardless.
And considering the market is at least 10x larger, I had a 10x better chance of finding a good deal, which I did..
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I cant count how many US F235 have made the trip to Canada. I've seen more go to Canada than several states combined. Deals and good boats can still be had in the crossing.
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
Yep. I cant count how many US F235 have made the trip to Canada. I've seen more go to Canada than several states combined. Deals and good boats can still be had in the crossing.

The cold weather will preserve them for use by future generations.......:)
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
david
Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

future Canadian generations... you ain't gettin' them back! :)
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US could take some lessons from the Canadians on promoting sailing for sure. The US has become shallow & materialistic, the general opinion seems to be sailing is only for the rich or sailing is too much work........The local sailboat brokers only cater to the rich as well, the smallest new boat sold is 31' & $150,000. a very sad state of affairs..........
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
david
Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$24K may be on the high end of the 235 price range but even so, for a 235 in mint condition it is very good value by any of today's standards.

My friends are always shocked when they hear how little I spend to have a wicked sailboat and membership at a "Yacht" club. I can't think of a better value for a family's recreation dollar.
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, we got Pandora at a very low price, our Yacht Club dues are $460 per year, and our slip is just over 1k, compare that to the Rochester Yacht Club where spending the night on your boat is discouraged & those quoted prices are monthly! YIKES! I think even if I could afford that I wouldn't do it.....

I just wish I knew the answer to get more folks away from the TV and on the water.......
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: