Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

285 for $3,200 on ebay!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 285 For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon Snider
Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: 285 for $3,200 on ebay! Reply with quote

Check it out! She was on craigslist for $4,000. No mast or sails but the boat looks to be in good shape. I guess the rig went over the side and they cut it away with the sails attached? Thats a shame, if thats what happened maybe they could have salvaged some of the rig or sails, if they wern't damaged. I'd check the chain plates real well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Beneteau-First-285-without-mast-and-sails_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140339659124
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 285 for $3,200 on ebay! Reply with quote

Brandon Snider wrote:
Check it out! She was on craigslist for $4,000. No mast or sails but the boat looks to be in good shape. I guess the rig went over the side and they cut it away with the sails attached? Thats a shame, if thats what happened maybe they could have salvaged some of the rig or sails, if they wern't damaged. I'd check the chain plates real well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Beneteau-First-285-without-mast-and-sails_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140339659124

man if what's left isn't afu that's some deal. still a survey and personal visit would be mandatory.

i wonder what went so wrong.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
alisdairs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 'watching' and my wife is freaking out thinking I'm going to bid on it...!!

Former owner 'Atlantic Reach'
1989~WK~#276
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alisdairs wrote:
I'm 'watching' and my wife is freaking out thinking I'm going to bid on it...!!

it's tempting. you could probably part it out for more than that. think of the spare parts i could have!
alisdairs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've e-mailed the guy to see if I could get it surveyed, or if he would accept an offer, subject to survey - waiting to hear back. I did find a Boat US surveyor in the same town...!

I could buy it now with what I have in savings, then over the winter sell the F235 to cover the cost of the rig, sails, etc..

See, I have it all worked out !!

1989~WK~#276
alisdairs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat went for $3,250 in the end. I didn't bid as I couldn't verify the cost of survey or transport in the time allowed so there were just too many uncertainties.

I did work out that new mast, sails, rigging, etc was going to be in the region of $10K so someone got themselves a good deal.

Al.

1989~WK~#276
Brad Leslie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was for the best. There were too many unkowns.

There will be plenty of other boats;)
89 Wing #251, Gigi
PO of Grip Fast, 87 Fin #92
PO of Sun King, 89 F285, #166
PO of Sojorn, 93 F210, #76
04 361, Grip Fast
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, something isn't being told.

too many loose ends and too few answers.
macroule
Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same feeling. The boat is close to me and I was tempted,
but I need a shallow draft for my mooring and a fin wasn't going to work for my Bahamas plan. IF the owner "loved" his 285 so much why didn't he just shop around for a used rig? Certainly the best way to get back at it. I guess a dis-mast could be traumatic and cause some to want to take a break from sailing perhaps?
Mysteries of Ebay...could be a tv show?
Solaris - 1988 F285 WK, Hull#95
(Fin Noir - 1987 F235 Fin, Hull#022, my Ex.)
Brad Leslie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking this boat out and looking at others recently has pushed me over the edge and I am now looking for a larger boat. I am a little tired of bumbing my head.

We are going to Grip Fast tomorrow morning to spend the weekend and think it over, but we have pretty much decided to sell and move up this fall. There are three boats I am going to look at over the next few weeks for a start. Who knows where this will end, but there are some very nice boats for sale now.
89 Wing #251, Gigi
04 361, Grip Fast
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Leslie wrote:
Checking this boat out and looking at others recently has pushed me over the edge and I am now looking for a larger boat. I am a little tired of bumbing my head.
We are going to Grip Fast tomorrow morning to spend the weekend and think it over, but we have pretty much decided to sell and move up this fall. There are three boats I am going to look at over the next few weeks for a start. Who knows where this will end, but there are some very nice boats for sale now.

What size range are you thinking about? What are your current top 5 designs and lengths? I'm on an inland lake, so it's hard to justify anything above ~30 feet as we just don't get enough wind and we're forever tacking on limited waterway. On the coast, I'd love to sail something in the 35-40 range, but those things will run you quite a few clams.
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
Brad Leslie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nquigley wrote:
Brad Leslie wrote:

What size range are you thinking about? What are your current top 5 designs and lengths? I'm on an inland lake, so it's hard to justify anything above ~30 feet as we just don't get enough wind and we're forever tacking on limited waterway. On the coast, I'd love to sail something in the 35-40 range, but those things will run you quite a few clams.

Neil
I am thinking 28 to 30 feet. I do like the idea of the 285. Particularly because mike and others has posted so much information about it here. It offers kind of support group for taking care of the items that go wrong with a 20+ year old sailboat. It also can be placed on my trailer with a few mods like fixing the brakes and adding a few braces. That give me a little more freedom to change locations. I am not saying its trailerable in the same sense the 235's are but its possible without involing a boat mover. Anything much bigger than a 285 will not work like that.

There are other old boats I have seen on line that I would like to see in person. The F281 and the F305 are interesting, but the 285 seams to use the space better and looks like a better made boat to me.I have been on several Hunters and Catalina's made in the late 1990's, I just didnt think they were as well made as our 235's.

There is a Oceans 311 at Kentucky Lake that I will look at but its really out of my price range. I could do it, and I have proabably done dummer things, but I still have my last two in college:(

If were dreaming, I was on the new 31 at last years boat show and I would really like that!

What boats do you dream about?

Anyone else care to opine about that?
89 Wing #251, Gigi
04 361, Grip Fast
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at the Cal 28 (1980s models - not the earlier model). I've sailed on one at our club - good sailer and very well designed and equipped - not many boats under 30 feet with a double-spreader rig!
http://www.grantdailey.com/Cal.html
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
Frodo
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 265 is... in my opinion, UGLY, but it does have the headroom you're looking for with the trailerability. If you're willing to forgo the trailer... a Pearson (Commander for daysailing/racing through a 30 for cruisiing) is a good boat. well built, fairly bulletproof, and enough around that you won't need to break the bank for the boat, or parts. Our 285 would be nice if you can find one in the pricerange, but traierability with any bigger cruising boat is... iffy.

If you're really looking...check out C&Cs in the mid 20s-low 30s... Well built, fast, and nice below.

I will say, if you're looking for innovation you won't find more than we have here.

-Fro
1988, #129 Wing Keel

www.crescentyachtclub.org
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 281. If you ever have a need to ask questions about one I am sure he would be happy to chat about his boat.
audeojude
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made an offer on a catalina 30 the other day. don't think they are going to take it though... They guy thinks a little more of his boat than it is really worth and isn't under any pressure to sell.

We are still looking for a bigger boat to live on.. If I could have gotten the Catalina at the price I wanted it would have made a good intermediate boat for a couple years so that zsanic could get used to handling a larger boat and it would have work for us to live on it part time up near her school.

I was pretty amazed at the amount of room in the Catalina though...
Wing Keel
Conway, SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pat Turner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This boat is owned by a friend of mine. Check it out.

http://strictlysailinc.com/hunter2801997.htm
Windseeker - Hull #46
'87 Wing Keel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
audeojude
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty boat but it is a little smaller in size and much pricier than we are looking at right now. As we continue not to find a boat we want the boat buying fund increases and we look at slightly more expensive boats.

I was just looking at a 32ft Beneteau Evasion.. Pilot house Ketch rig with a cutaway full keel.. its a late 70's early 80's design out of the france plant.

rather radical design for Beneteau... anyone ever sailed on one of them?
Wing Keel
Conway, SC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Brad Leslie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nquigley wrote:
have a look at the Cal 28 (1980s models - not the earlier model). I've sailed on one at our club - good sailer and very well designed and equipped - not many boats under 30 feet with a double-spreader rig!
http://www.grantdailey.com/Cal.html

That is a very nice looking boat. I will check one out if I get a chance.
89 Wing #251, Gigi
04 361, Grip Fast
audeojude
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the layout on the cal... they did a lot with the space they had. It looks bigger than you would expect inside
Wing Keel
Conway, SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 285 For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: