Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'87 F235 Fin w/Trailer - AR SOLD (macroule)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccalack
First Mate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: '87 F235 Fin w/Trailer - AR SOLD (macroule) Reply with quote

Boat with trailer in central arkansas, currently in lake. email nlrinsurance@yahoo.com or call 501-753-9500 for details 9000.00

11/16/06- Have been extremely busy at the office and I have not been able to get info to the people that have contacted me on this boat. I will get some pics to post after thanksgiving. Also am lowering the price to $8000.00.

Last edited by mccalack on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe move this to the boats for sale section & have them email pictures to somebody so we can post them.....I thought this was a ad for a keel.........heh
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like this is ole Paul's boat, hull #22, Quixotic, pictured within these forums and in the F235 Directory.

http://www.beneteau235.com/f235_member_boats/quixotic.jpg

On trailer at Paul's Place...

'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was this boat in the tri state area?
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
abstrait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we have discussed this boat many times. It was in NJ. I have a slew of shots of it. It's Mccalack's boat though he took a leave of absence in that first post. Paul?
mccalack
First Mate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the boat. I have a 12 year old son that has not caught the sailing bug that I had at that age. Am going to buy a Housboat and jetski and spend time with him on the lake. I am confident that by the time he is 16 he won't want to spend time with his parents, regardless of what type of boat we have. May move back to a cruiser then. But this is what I feel I need to do now.
abstrait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Sorry to see you leave the F235 fold, Paul. Knew you were excited about #22 and ready to go. Sad it didnt work out. You need to talk some sense into the tike! heh...
Frodo
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular boat is the reason I found the F235. I was one of those you bid against to get her. I wasn't allowed to bid near what she was going to go for though, as we hadn't seen one in person, yet. After you bought Quixotic, I shanghaied my wife into viewing Jon's Pandora. The rest is history.
1988, #129 Wing Keel

www.crescentyachtclub.org
mccalack
First Mate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy from Vermont had verbally committed to buy the boat. He decided not to buy this boat today, therefore it is back on the market. I am not sure, but I think the idea of pulling the boat from Arkansas to Vermont with the first big winter storm of the year breathing down his neck, was more then he desired to tackle. Truthfully, I don't blame him. The forecast is for rain turning to ice, high winds, bad roads, ect. I am afraid this was just bad timing.
garrett
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this boat still for sale?
'88 - Wing - Hull #140
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call 501-753-9500
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
abstrait

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrett wrote:

Write him an email to see. I havent heard that it sold but I would contact him directly to get the latest, in case he's not monitoring the thread.
Dirk
I Finally found an F235!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrett wrote:

is it??

regards
Dirk
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk wrote:
garrett wrote:

is it??

regards
Dirk

call 501-753-9500 hows it going Dirk?
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
Dirk
I Finally found an F235!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is good :-)
some things have changed...moving back to the Baltic Sea, starting a new job in Flensburg, just at the Danish Boarder, so I need even more urgently a 235.... the other idea is spending some more money, buy a bigger boat, live on it :)

Regards
Dirk
xingus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Good Deal or Money Pit? Your Opinion Welcomed! Reply with quote

Seller's pics available here:

http://www.ursae.hopto.org/beneteau235/quixotic/seller/web

Surveyor's pics here:

http://www.ursae.hopto.org/beneteau235/quixotic/survey/web

I have a sales contract on this boat and a few days to proceed with the sale. Any observations would be welcome.
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your offer?
IMHO the present owner has neglected this boat & doesn't deserve an offer of more than 3k.

Everything is repairable but that boats needs major cleaning & work.
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jon on both accounts: the boat is in pretty rough shape, and all is fixable but at considerable cost in eiather your effort, or $s paid to a yard to do so. What are the sails like?
In fact, as an initial offer, Jon's $3K is pretty generous, but as long as you don't go above about $3.5K to get the boat, you'll be OK. You can EASILY find a 'ready to go sailing' F235 for about $6-8K, especially if you're willing to buy in the south east. You'll easily spend $4K in labor or more to get this boat up to satisfactory condition.
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
Nologic
Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the surveyor's report you should have lots of information on the condition of the boat. It looks like it is going to take lots of work and money to get her in good shape again.

One good thing I saw in the pictures is that the mast foot and base have been changed from the old style to the new style.

The inside looks like water has been in it for a long time. There is a great deal of mold to deal with. The falling headliner is not unusual, but the carpet falling from the hull is something I haven't seen before. There weren't any pictures of the sails---how old are they and how much mold are they covered with?

Chances are the tires on the trailer are dry rotted from sun exposure and since it is a single axle, replacing them before towing any distance over 5 miles is advisable. All the rust on the wheels isn't pretty. Is there any chance the tires were left flat for an extended time and water got inside? The wheel bearings probably need repacking before any trip. It might be easier to just replace the hubs (if you do, remember to stop after the first 50 miles and tighten the lug nuts as they will loosen).

That moisture meter reading is not pretty. If you are willing to do the work, It's going to be a great boat once you get it dried out and fixed up. You can get answers to all your questions as you work on the boat and even some of them will be helpful.

Lets us know what you do.
xingus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

I'm willing to do the work/spend the money on the repairs. I have a little experience working on boats and am handy. Most of it seems doable the bottom could be worse, it could have layers of crusty anti-fouling paint to remove. And if, for example I built or buy a new rudder, then I have a boat with a new rudder. However, Replacing all the water damaged interior seems over the top, so then I'm stuck with a boat with water damaged cabinetry: Less enjoyable and lower resale value.

How is the cabinetry attached to the hull (in '87)? I hadn't though of having to remove it when I looked at the other boats. Pulling everything and making it a winter project in the shop seems like the way to go. Kelly where's the major cabinetry rebuild-refinish how-to on this site? ;)

I've looked at other 235's in New England. All but one had bad staining of the lower edge of the cabinets. The clean boat sold on the spot to the person who was waiting to look at as I drove away. I the asking price was $12K.

The sails are reportedly in good shape, stored in the garage not on the boat. I only have pictures of bags.

I'll take pointers to 'ready to go sailing' F235 for about $6-8K, anywhere. Neil?
Frodo
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Xingus,

I bought mine in that general dollar area. 2 months later there was one min much better shape with a trailer for 6k. If you want to be patient, you can find a nice "sail away" boat in the 8k range. It may take some time though.
1988, #129 Wing Keel

www.crescentyachtclub.org
garrett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered 5500 for this boat and turned me down about a month or so ago. Bummer I was ready and willing to do the work too. Good luck with the boat. Putting work into a boat is alot of the fun and will give you much satisfaction when you put her in the water. Keep at it. I already got a boat or i would have pressed harder on this one. Damn
'88 - Wing - Hull #140
garrett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow i just looked at surveyors pictures. I am glad he didnt take my offer. That moisture reading is very bad. I would say 3000 is max for boat without the motor. the motor may be worth 500 or so itself. Be careful with that much moisture all the bulkheads could need replacing could cost lots and lots. Id be weary!
'88 - Wing - Hull #140
abstrait

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nquigley wrote:
You can EASILY find a 'ready to go sailing' F235 for about $6-8K, especially if you're willing to buy in the south east.

This is actually getting harder to find, especially with a trailer. Yeah, it comes around, usually sans trailer, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Sad thing, is Quixotic's a nice looking boat from afar at speed. It's a fin. Has a trailer. All good things. Looks like an ok Fin F235 using the 45 at 45 rule!

If all you saw was this, you might have a slight smile...

http://i16.tinypic.com/2vt1rbl.jpg

Then you look at the interior photos. Lord.

Well, I will say that someone with a lot of time and patience could probably come out with a nice boat. It IS fixable. I've seen worse boats turned around. Trouble is, it's going to take a lot of work and the only real way to make it remotely feasible is if you do 99% of the work yourself, taking pride in saying you did it. It would be great to see this boat back up to snuff, out on the water again. I think the current owner had the same idea and you see where it is now. That's the trouble with this kind of thing. You really need to realize what you're getting into.

If the rig and sails are in good shape, it's a matter of deciding what it's worth. It would have to be a labor of love thing because you sure couldnt count your hours as ducats. But it sure would be great to see it out again, all done over. mccalack is a nice guy based on the communications Ive had. Sorry to see ole Quixotic in such sad shape these days, though. Hell, it almost looks like the damn hatch was left open. Still, I really hope someone bites off the job with a vested interest that can turn her around.
abstrait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the latest word on Paul's boat, and it's good news as it probably means some care will be going into the beast, besides the fun... I quote below:

FYI-- I am putting my boat back in the water. The reason I was going to sell it, is that I did not feel I was using it enough. My son was not really into it and we were not using but 4-5 weekends a year. So I listed it on your great site. But I started thinking, what would this boat cost to rent 4-5 times a year (yes, I know, you can't rent this boat, but just thinking). I feel it would cost 200/weekend. The cost of docking it at that time was 1100/ year. Well 5 weekends at 200, 1100/year made sense. Therefore I decided not to sell it. Well about that time someone call me wanting to buy it, I felt obligated, since I listed the boat. As you know, that has fallen thru. I truly believe things happen for a reason. Therefore I am putting the boat on a bouy at Lake Ouchita State Park for a cost of 500.00 a year.

This boat sails like a dream. I have never sailed a keelboat that is so gentle in a blow. I love it.

Thanks for your time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: