Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index Beneteau First 235 Forums
Welcome! First 235 Owners please register.

{F235 Home}Beneteau235.com - Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   {F235 Directory}F235 Directory   RegisterRegister 
{F235 Home}Latest News  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Katrina Victim - #39 - FINALLY SOLD (stratos|Vancouver)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alisdairs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
nquigley wrote:
Bids are flying in - it's up to a whopping $177.50 now - that's about half the cost of just one of the stern rails!
The auction is ending on Saturday morning (7AM PDT).
This autorebuilder guy is keeping just ahead of new bidders - I wonder what his top dollar amount is???

bid & find out!!!

Heh - then you might just end up with it !!

Former owner 'Atlantic Reach'
1989~WK~#276
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody buy it! ship it to me & for $16k I will make it pristine.
85' Laser 28 #167*Pandora*
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
abstrait
Site Owner & Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still KILLS me when people bid on anything way before the auction is scheduled to end. Makes zero sense but it's done all the time.
'89 "clear" WK | Hull #327
www.beneteau235.com</font><br><br>
alisdairs
1000 posts? Man Overboard!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
It still KILLS me when people bid on anything way before the auction is scheduled to end. Makes zero sense but it's done all the time.

I agree...I'm a real last 50 seconds man myself...!

Former owner 'Atlantic Reach'
1989~WK~#276
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alisdairs wrote:
abstrait wrote:

I agree...I'm a real last 50 seconds man myself...!

my sniperware shoots to kill during the last 4 seconds of the autions. i never bid on anything until then.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
littlewj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a trailer in a month in Gulfport that can be used to get the boat. I still don't know if I'm going to bid on it, but if the loan of my trailer helps anyone else make a decision about whether to bid, I thought I would let you know. Tonight will be interesting.
F235 Hull #162
abstrait

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlewj wrote:
I will have a trailer in a month in Gulfport that can be used to get the boat. I still don't know if I'm going to bid on it, but if the loan of my trailer helps anyone else make a decision about whether to bid, I thought I would let you know. Tonight will be interesting.

If the boat goes for less than 500, it's worth it. Lordy, if you have room in your backyard with tools and time, you could have fun fixing this beast up. You could pay for your other F235 if you got on a roll.

Has anyone seen the boat in person?
littlewj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have niether the tools or the time, but I do have an empty lot I could keep the boat on. Question is, how long will my wife let me keep it there?
F235 Hull #162
abstrait

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike wrote:
my sniperware shoots to kill during the last 4 seconds of the autions. i never bid on anything until then.

Mike! Say it aint so! Would you use an AK-47 for the Deer in your backyard? On second thought, dont answer...heh
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a steal! $710 smackers. Alabama only has a 66% feedback rating so don't be surprised if you see it back up in a few weeks............
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
mike
Graduated to First 285

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abstrait wrote:
Would you use an AK-47 for the Deer in your backyard?

probably not, but a lot would depend on what they have.
'89 F285 WK, Hull #127 s/v Enchanté
'89 F235 WK, Hull #253 s/v Windependent my ex
abstrait

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whelp, that didnt last long. The guy that won Northstar By Katrina on ebay has it up for sale. He scored the beast for $710 and is now advertising it for $3000. Too bad the trailer's not included... Of course, there's no mention of Katrina anywhere in the ad (nor of the 6" of water in the cabin). Dont see the roller furler, either.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/sbeneteau235h.html
JDF
Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: eeewwwww Reply with quote

Wonder which light damage he means... is it the big cankersore on the starboard hull or the twisty pushpit on the starboard rail?
"No water damage."
Wow, it's a miracle boat.
87 fin #64
Lake Michigan @ Chicago
abstrait

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: eeewwwww Reply with quote

JDF wrote:
Wonder which light damage he means... is it the big cankersore on the starboard hull or the twisty pushpit on the starboard rail? "No water damage." Wow, it's a miracle boat.

To get a more accurate assessment (somewhat), go to the original ebay ad link again. Between the two and some imagination, you can probably get somewhat of an idea. I wonder if the guy originally bought it on ebay thinking he would have the uber cheap boat to fix up. 9 times out of 10, it turns into headache and expense that surpasses the original dream... We'll see what happens.
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2300 power wash & garbage run. god bless america!
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
xingus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Northstar's available again... Reply with quote

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/boa/311966851.html
nquigley
Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now where is that poster who wanted a cheap F235?? I bet that for $3K in labor and parts, you'd have a boat worth ~$8K
This is the boat that was on eBay a while ago after being damaged in Hurricane Katrina. I wonder what the current seller got it for - wasn't it less than $1K? Anyone remember?
(ex - F235 #252 'Traveler')
abstrait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to have gone for about $710 via ebay. That was the only time you saw mention of Katrina in the equation. After that, it soon appeared on Texas Sailing: http://www.sailingtexas.com/sbeneteau235h.html

There is a current forum member (gasket) that put a $300 deposit on this boat and was to hire a surveyor. The current owner that is trying to get $3000 after scoring it for $710, wouldn't sign off on the surveyor. Now he wont let the member BUY IT either AND kept the $300. It's a long and sordid story but the guy selling this boat does not look kosher nor is he properly representing it in any of the ads.

That being said, give the guy 1.5K and you got a deal if you dont mind the labor and fact that you own a storm damaged boat. The mast and rigging will add over 2K alone and you cant charge for your hours but it's a way to get a cheap F235 for sure if you have time, knowhow, and storage. However, IT wont be something for nothing when all is said and done. Actually, I dont know of anyone that has actually BEEN to the boat. The fact that a current forum member STILL has a $300 deposit on it with no way to rectify the situation is sad in itself. Perhaps he'll post his story.

Here's how North Star (87/wk/hull 39) looked when she went for $710

http://www.beneteau235.com/f235_member_boats/39_north_star.jpg

Gil Gaska is actually NOT the owner, btw.
gasket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Katrina victim - hull #039 Reply with quote

Kelly, Your are correct in November I spotted the F235 on SailingTexas.com
I contacted the seller Mr. Ratliff in Harvest, AL and in Good Faith and Trust wired him $300, pending inspection per my better half's request. I was not about to plop 3K down on a boat site unseen. Knowing that I wasn't going to make the trip soon I inquired about marine surveys on this forum (Nov 12th?) BTW thank you for your many replies! The some of the sailboat surveyors I initial contacted did not think it was worth their time to travel. Anyway, Mr. Ratliff said he had paid for the boat and that storage was available. The soonest I could view it was on a Spring break trip to FLA. Two weeks prior to the trip I called and informed him that I would be thru Alabama for a preview on Mar 31st.. I called Mr. Ratliff and he stated that he had a buyer lined up that is going to buy it for $3.5K. The first thing I thought was why is he willing to sell this from under my feet. He then stated I had a deadline of March 28th at noon or the other buyer had the boat, then the deadline slipped to the 29th , then the on the 30th he the boat was gone. I thought to myself why is he allowing the deadline to keep slipping?

On April 14th I see he posted the boat on Craigslist. I just spotted it last Wednesday. So to make a long story short, I put down $300 as an implied contract to purchase (...what I recall from high school business law right)... in Good Faith and Trust sent $300 to a man in AL I know nothing about. The he seemingly sets up this ficticious buyer from Georgia. Which I now feel was a pressure tactic to force me to send the balance of the $3K. I scrambled to find a non sailboat surveyor about an a hour away days prior to his deadline, but Mr. Ratliff would not sign a disclosure necessary to conduct the survey. Again I needed eyes on the ground to review the boat prior to plunking down the balance sight unseen. So here I am between a rock and a hard place. Mr. Ratliff has my deposit, won't allow a survey and has posted the boat on Craigslist Huntsville.

How can you help me? Write or contact Mr. Ratliff with a nice request and ask for my deposit back. I have done this countless times at no avail. You could also assist me in "flagging" Mr. Ratliff off of Craigslist. Basically, terminating his ad, and thus sending him a message indirectly that his business dealing conduct is unappreciated. He has larger sailboats he is trying to sell on SailingTexas also. I would like to see him from being stopped to sell those boats also. Not quite sure how to do that thought. He has violated my rights as a buyer, abused the internet, and uses unwanted pressure tactics. As if buying a boat isn't already stressful enough. I think he should be not allowed to use the internet to sell his salvage boats.

My deposit is probably gone...my lesson. It is principle at this point. Thanks for your time. I look forward to your help.

Gil Gaska
St. Joseph, MI

Last edited by gasket on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
gasket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Salvage sailboats Reply with quote

Other boats that the seller will not allow marine surveys on ...

http://www.sailingtexas.com/sbayliner30a.html

http://www.sailingtexas.com/sglander33a.html

http://www.sailingtexas.com/sendeavour35b.html

I will search to find if there are similar forums for the above boats like this one to forewarn potential buyers in the difficulty I have in attempting to purchase from Mr. Ratliff.

The F235 forum rocks!

thanks,

Gil Gaska
Jon
First 235 Crazy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would flag him, then I would drive down & knock his teeth out of his head & take the boat home for $300, because that is about all it is worth.
87' F235 WK #69 my ex

Lake Ontario NY
Daryl
Tactician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil, have you contacted the guy that runs Texas Sailing? He seems to be a straight shooter and presenting the facts objectively may get his attention. TS is becoming a major marketplace and he swings some weight. Depriving Bubba in Alabama his free advertising resource would be some small comfort. I'd write up the documentation and lodge complaint with both TS and Craigslist.

God, I love Google . . . just snagged this info:
Consumer Affairs Section
Office of the Attorney General
11 South Union Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0152
334-242-7334 or in Alabama 1-800-392-5658
Fax 334-242-2433

There's even an online complaint form <evilgrin>: http://www.ago.state.al.us/consumer_complaint.cfm

It's unlikely any of this will get your $300 bucks back. But making this yahoo's life a bit more interesting via the state of alabama may be more satisfying than talking about beating him up.

Good luck. Sorry to hear of your bummer . . . at least it's only $300.
gasket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl,

Thanks a ton for your post! I used the online form to file a complaint with the State of Alabama Attorney General, against Mr. Ratliff.

Next, I will contact TexasSailing.com and Craigslist.

-Gil
Frodo
I've lost my Babystay!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted Gil,

And go ahead and buy Pennywise instead.
1988, #129 Wing Keel

www.crescentyachtclub.org
Ken
First Mate

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Up For Sale Again Reply with quote

Is this North Star listed here on the Forum "Fore Sale???"

If this is North Star, it seems as if this boat is always around. It appears to be listed for sale again on this web site / in the forum??? Did things get straightened out with the individual who lost his down payment?

I hope that Kelly and the rest of us don't try to help sell this boat if in fact someone got shafted by the seller and lost a depsoit??

What is the update?

Ken
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Beneteau First 235 Forums Forum Index -> Beneteau First 235 - Boats For Sale All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: